Friday, November 20, 2009

Even Moms Make Mistakes!

It has been a week since my 'odd' experience and I now feel OK to talk about it here.

We went out for dinner last Friday with 3 other couples to celebrate our dear friend P's birthday. You know, a night out, adults only at a really hip restaurant on Mont Royal. I was really looking forward to it as it had been a while since we had done this sans kids. In fact, the day started with an unexpected H1N1 vaccination. The regulations had changed and Cara-Li had the day off from school so we rushed off to get that done. Anyway, fast forward to dinner. We began the evening with cocktails, followed by a lovely dinner and lots and lots of wine. At one point after our main course, I began to feel a little funny. I wasn't able to follow the conversation. In fact, it made me feel like I was spiraling out of control. And then I felt it. I was going to pass out. Since I am a fainter by nature, I know what it feels like moments before the big crash. I was smart enough to reach over to the person next to me which happened to be birthday boy and state 'I am going to faint....'. At this point, Gord was also beside me as he saw that look on face (one that he has seen before). I was escorted outside to get some fresh air and that did bring me back a little. I was flopped over into their arms and I could feel myself going. I tried to convince myself to go but something inside me said not to as I had the feeling that I would never come back. So here I was, outside on Mont Royal street, flopped over feeling like I was circling the drain for what was about 10 minutes. A verrrrry long ten minutes as I fought and struggled. And then I was back. Just like that. I went back in the restaurant, drank some water as we waited to pay. And then, I was going again. The lights were going out again. So I was whisked off once again into the cool night air. By the time we went back in the restaurant a second time, we had really given all the patrons quite the show! No one really quite understood what was going on. After that, I was fine, shaken up a bit, but fine.

Another funny thing about that night. We were driving home when Gord decided we had to stop at a convenience store. What was really funny was that it was 10:36PM. Gord was going in to buy 4 bottles of water. In our younger days, we'd still be buying beer at that time!

Anyway, after what happened that night, I spent all of Saturday being grateful that I was alive. It was a very strange experience to say the least, one that I will not soon forget.

The moral of the story is even Moms make mistakes!


Julie said...

Wow, that's no fun! I am a fainter too and I know what this is like - so very scary. Because I have hypoglycemia (insulin resistance) I have to be really careful how much alcohol I consume and never ever on an empty stomach or this is exactly what happens to me.

I hope you are feeling much better now!

Wanda said...

Gee....I'm thick. Until I read Julie's comment - I was scratching my head - "what was mom's mistake"?

OK, so it's hors d'eourves first then. I get it (D'uh).

Glad you recovered.