Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tragedy in Morin-Heights

As news broke yesterday afternoon, I was devasted to hear that the Gourmet du Village warehouse had collapsed due to high accumulation of snow of the roof of their building. Three women remained trapped under the rubble for close to 5 hours only to be found dead close to the dinner hour. This company sells wonderful gourmet food products and are one of our suppliers at our store. Not to mention that our cottage is a mere 10 minutes away. This tragedy has hit close to home! (see story here & here)

As we drove north today to the cottage, numerous buildings along the highway were having their roofs cleared. It was amazing to see how much snow is up there! Many roofs had as many as 20 shovellers equipped with snowblowers! This I have never seen before. I guess roof shovelling was on everyone's to-do list in the wake of this tragedy. Gord has been shovelling our roofs constantly throughout the winter with me making fun of him. This weekend when he is up there once again, I will keep my big mouth shut!

My heart goes out to the families of the victims and all the employees of Gourmet du Village.

2 comments:

4D said...

So sad.

Mortimer's Mom said...

I know how you feel. Even though we are a bit further north, somehow, this really got to me. I know what I'm doing Friday afternoon...